Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Arlington National Cemetery

A fitting way to start this blog off.






Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia. Across the Potomac River from Washington DC. Probably the most famous cemetery in America.

These photos were taken from a trip I took there in December of 2003. I loved the way everything looked with the snow. I've also visited Arlington at least 3 other times that I can remember. I can't help but list this as my favorite cemetery to visit.

Shown in the photos above include John F Kennedy's grave and eternal flame; The Memorial Amphitheater and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; and the statue of Major General Philip Kearny, a United States General during the Civil War. Arlington House, the home of Robert E Lee prior to the Civil War, can be seen in the second photo. And the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument can be seen in the distance in the final photo.

There is so much to say about this solemn place, but I can hardly find the right words. If you have been there, you know what I mean. If you have not, I would rank it among the top 10 places to see in America. All Americans should pay their respects to those who died for our freedoms.

For more information, please visit the official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment