Sunday, January 3, 2010

Brown and Elder Cemetery, Leanna, Rutherford County, TN

This African-American cemetery is located just east of State Route 840 on Joe Brown Rd and north of the exit to Sulphur Springs Rd. As it is still a fairly new cemetery, I did not photograph most of the markers. Many were simply funeral home markers. There are probably 50-75 graves, maybe more unmarked. Many of the surnames are Brown and Elder, with Alexander, Finney, Gooch and Smith also. I'm not certain if I had found the "Joe Brown", but there was a marker that was a small homemade concrete cross with letters bought from a supply store-but most had faded and could not be read.

The main sign was down when I visited, I hope to get back one day and get a better photo of the entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment